Layers of crispy phyllo dough wrapped around a yummy apple pie filling!
This is a low sugar recipe. You can add more sugar to the apple mixture if you’d like.
- (1) Package of Phyllo Dough (usually comes with 2 rolls- 8 sheets each)
- (1 cup) Unsalted Butter
- (8-10) Granny Smith Apples
- (1/4 cup) Brown Sugar
- (1/8 cup) Regular Sugar (optional)
- (1.5 teaspoons) Ground Cinnamon
- (1/4 teaspoon) Fine Sea Salt or Table Salt (may want to add to taste)
- (Zest of 1) Lemon
- Thaw Phyllo Dough on the counter (30 minutes).
- Set oven to 350 Degrees Fahrenheit.
- Peel and slice apples thinly (1/8th inch or less).
- Add cinnamon, salt (to taste) and sugar to apples and toss in a bowl.
- Melt butter and get a brush for spreading it.
- Line (2) large pans with buttered parchment paper (or spray pan surface with butter).
- On each pan:
- Place one sheet of Phyllo down on the pan.
- Brush the Phyllo with butter.
- Repeat steps 1 & 2 until you have 5-6 sheets stacked.
- Place half of the apples in the middle of the stack of Phyllo.
- Ensure there is 2 inches of exposed Phyllo all the way around the apples.
- Fold the sides of the Phyllo onto the apples first.
- Then fold in the long sides until they overlap. Glue together with brushed butter.
- Flip the strudel carefully so the seam is facing down.
- Sprinkle sugar (the courser the better) and cinnamon on the top.
- Bake for 30 minutes (likely the apple juice will ooze out- that’s okay!)
- Cool, cut and serve!